I had been sending donations to Ensemble Ptashitsa in Russia for many years. After each of their Youtube livestreams, I would send 20 dollars or so. I always received an email of gratitude from Ivan, the leader of the group. When the Russia Ukraine event started, I got my Paypal account locked and my bank account was locked as well. I was able to get my bank accounts back, but to this day cannot link Paypal to my bank account. I could no longer send donations. Ivan released a statement about not getting deceived by stories in newspapers on Ukraine and Russia, used to divide us. It was a brave statement inferring media fakery. There were ALWAYS many Ukrainians in the livestream chats of Ptashitsa. These illusions of borders and countries could not be clearer. A year after my donations stopped due to this "war", I received a Ptashitsa calendar in the mail from Ivan, signed by the group. He said thanks for ...
there also seems to be a personal radio station in my head of songs. the ryme or reason seems random. morning til night. mostly songs i like, but just constant, and not something i just heard or anything…i have no idea why certain ones pop in. and even songs i like become torturous when theres no off button. is that something you deal with as well db??? i know you tend to listen to composers these days…so wondering if its just the form of music? or if it happens with classical as well. hendrix-bold as love-would not stop playing last night…and i love that song, it was exhausting. felt like the stereo was on repeat trying to get to sleep. but the morning soundtrack is sometimes fun to wake up to with its surprises. i bet there is an unconscious explanation for what i hear, but havnt figured it out yet. i guess its better than random voices.
ReplyDeletebrian
Hi Brian. I do not have songs playing in my head. You are correct that I rarely listen to pop music these days...I had a rare Neil Diamond day 2 days ago. I was underwhelmed. I can't take all the "love of my life" and "why I was never good enough" lyrics. This as opposed to the witchcraft lyrics of Zeppelin, Yes, etc.
DeleteI am playing Bach solo piano as I type this note to you. It beckons my brain. My attention is never bored. I listened to Mahler's Fifth Symphony all day yesterday. I still haven't really learned it. But once you "learn" them, they are spectacular. I have gotten to this point with the Sibelius symphonies, which I play incessantly on dreary days.
I had to run to a Trader Joe's this morning. I have become acutely aware of all of the background music in all of these environments...and it ain't classical music. Thanks for your comment and insights as always...best, db