My Debbie Harry experience and recalling the Pretenders backstage in 1981...Learning to Crawl.
This post was inspired by a comment from Brian from Ohio asking about my personal experiences with celebrities.
I have previously shared a list of the celebrities that I have met.
https://dirtybennywrites.blogspot.com/2025/05/famous-people-that-i-have-met.html
I saw Blondie at Avalon in Boston in the early 2000's. As usual, I collected autographs so I came prepared with a Blondie LP to be signed. After the show, there were about 30 people waiting by the tour bus for autographs. Debbie came out the stage door surrounded by bodyguards. She walked directly up to me, took my album and went on the bus. 2 minutes later, a roadie brought out my album signed. The people around me were dumbfounded at how lucky I was to be chosen. Maybe there is more to it. Did she read my energy? Did she know that this one would eventually be able to see? Who knows....it was unusual in all my years of autograph collecting.
Not to mention, she was abundantly curvy as in the below video.
I saw the Pretenders on their tour for Pretenders II at Lehigh University in Pennsylvania in the early 1980's. Chrissie Hynde started out the concert saying, "Some guy out there says he wants to fuck me. He's got about as much chance of that as me going down on my grandmother." They then ripped into The Adultress. It was an intense brutal performance by the Pretenders original line-up.
Afterward, I talked my way backstage with a roadie. The 4 members were on the floor wriggling and wrestling with each other like a bunch of snakes for several minutes. It was not sexual. I asked the roadie what they were doing. He said they do it after every show. Although I spoke with each of them afterward, Martin Chambers just kept saying how drained he is after a show. It was bizarre to say the least.
Shortly thereafter, James Honeymoon-Scott and Pete Farndon died of drug overdoses. I guess the Honeymoon was over.
It was one of the best concerts I had ever seen.

that is a wild after show ritual…i have never heard of such a thing!
ReplyDeletesuch great performers.
did you ever come across courtney love by chance? i recently watched her interview on billy corgan’s podcast…which was as irratic and exausting as you’d imagine. it was hard to get through, but interesting as well, when they let each other finish a damn thought uniterrupted. (you may enjoy his podcast-a variety of musical guests)
but i bring her up because i then looked up some live hole performaces, and have to admit she could really wail. more just curious of her specifically? (as i think i was 12 when live through this came out and of course nirvana was everywhere when i started paying attention to music instead of baseball cards.
and i could talk music with you for a while i’m sure! love hearing these stories:)
brian
Hi Brian...i personally witnessed it...and it was bizarre. I was in my early 20's and had no framework for understanding it. I was major league attracted to Chrissy Hynde and it was a thrill to meet her in person, though she was rather gruff.
DeleteI have no experience with Courtney Love. I was supposed to see Nirvana in Philly when I was living in Hershey PA but I was too tired to make the trip...a big regret for sure. Because of my pursuit of autographs, I have A LOT of stories....I have lived a colorful life for sure.
Kathleen Hanna, Sleater-Kinney, Bratmobile, Dido, Melissa Ferrick ....all terrific. I have previously posted about my multiple interactions with Kristen Hersh and Tanya Donnelly of Throwing muses from my RI stomping grounds. Extremely talented intense ladies..and underrated for sure. Best regards, db