Why I Like Snow



There are elements of my personality and essence that I reflect on and try to understand what is their origin.

One of these is realizing that I get happy when it snows.  For some people, they dread the driving, the shovelling, etc.  It was never like that for me. 

When I look back on my childhood growing up in Pennsylvania, snow was an important element in our lives. When snow was in the forecast, there was this drama in the forecast, hoping it would be enough so that SCHOOL would get cancelled.  The ritual started the night before, listening to the radio to get the forecast.  This was before the Weather Channel.  

Then after nervously struggling to sleep, we arose early to listen to the radio.  We anxiously awaited to hear the name of our school district cancelling school.   When we got the announcement, we cheered and celebrated.  

How much did we not want to go to school?  A lot.  We didn't have to trek off to buses in coats, gloves, and galoshes.  We could stay at home, eating pancakes and hot chocolate.  

The snow caused the so-called civilization to shut down with the blanket of snow dampening the noises and clamor.  It was magical.   We broke out the sleds and snow shovels to enjoy the day, free from desks, bells, and raising your hand. The civilization always had to capitulate to nature, and I loved it.  

Those feelings of joy remain with me today when I first see the first flakes come parachuting down from the sky.  I purposely chose a place to live with a strong 4 seasons including my beloved ....SNOW!!!!



Comments

  1. Wonderful share. I remember those moments of listening to the radio as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment. Best regards, db

      Delete
  2. I love snow, especailly when i'm inside a warm building looking at it fall. I don't like driving in it or shoveling but walking around, sledding, throwing snowballs and building snowmen and snow caves are magical. I got my cancel news on the television, they would scroll all the school names across the screen, and even though I had to get up and dressed, I wouldn't have to walk to the bus stop. Not sure if southern states cancel if it gets too hot? But they never had snow days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your descriptive observations and experiences. You write with great skill and your words painted a colorful nostalgic image for me. Very much appreciate your comment, cheers, db

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who writes the music? The BOX.

Miami Bayside Marketplace Alien Sighting?

Beyonce and Sasha Fierce...a case study in demonic possession