Blueberry Wisdom


The above sketch I did in 2007.


 I have had 40 or 50 blueberry bushes for a decade or so.  I rarely harvested a single blueberry.  This year I acidified the ground with pine bark much, put in 2 10 foot copper rods filled with basalt.   The spring looked incredibly optimistic with boatloads of flowers and young berries.  I started reading about techniques to keep the birds from your blueberries.  Most involved complicated hoop structures with bird netting.  My blueberry area is too big to build a structure such as that.  The bushes are 6 to 8 feet tall.  

I learned 2 important techniques.  I bought rubber snakes from the Dollar General and placed them in and on the bushes.  I also harvested before they were ripe, put them in a closed paper bag for 2 days.  

Thanks to these 2 techniques, I have had the best season ever with multiple pints of blueberries harvested. 

Growing your own food sounds easy and pat.  In reality it is extremely challenging.  Just when you have a beautiful cabbage saved from cabbage looper moth caterpillars, a critter comes in one night and eats the whole thing.  Continuous learning...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who writes the music? The BOX.

Miami Bayside Marketplace Alien Sighting?

Beyonce and Sasha Fierce...a case study in demonic possession