"We used to call them lightning bugs."


I rarely venture off my compound.  I recently made an exception, going to a local library for a talk on fireflies. 

One forgets the nature of the water one swims in after "waking up." 

The three children seated in the front row were not clearly boys or girls.

Several references were made about looking up into outer space.

Ubiquitous phones despite having a live person right in front of you. 

The presenter wore a name tag as if that designates him as the authority, despite most of the audience being twice his age. 

One gentleman from the audience asked at the end " We used to call them lightning bugs.  Why are they now called fireflies?"  Of course the presenter had no answer. 

How easily things change in less than a generation. 



https://fireflies.ai/

Comments

  1. I missed your point on this one, why would the name tag person say look up to outer space? Names change thru the years on many places and things. I remember for a few summers there were always thousands of those bugs out and I used to smash them with my wiffle ball bat. The light part would stick to my bat and it glowed but didn't light up a dark area. I really regret doing that and stopped. Many young kids still do that today, I always tell them they are harmless and leave them be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My point is the rapidity that reality changes in less than a generation. Thanks for saving the lightning bugs. cheers, db

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who writes the music? The BOX.

Miami Bayside Marketplace Alien Sighting?

Beyonce and Sasha Fierce...a case study in demonic possession