Hall & Oates...who writes the songs?

 

Daryl Hall Gets Restraining Order Against John Oates in Hall & Oates Legal Battle


Hall & Oates are embroiled in a confidential legal battle that has led to Daryl Hall getting a restraining order against his former music partner John Oates.

Little information about the lawsuit is publicly available, as the court documents are sealed, but based on court records, Hall filed an undisclosed complaint against Oates on Nov. 16, as well as a motion for a temporary restraining order, as reported by Philadelphia magazine. The following day, the court officially issued a temporary restraining order to begin Nov. 30.

More interesting is this.....

He went on, “John and I are brothers, but we are not creative brothers. We are business partners. We made records called Hall & Oates together, but we’ve always been very separate, and that’s a really important thing for me.”

Hall then went on to diminish the collaborative aspect of Hall & Oates, using the duo’s 1980 No. 1 hit “Kiss on My List” as an example of their apparent creative separation. “I did all those [harmonies],” Hall said. “That’s all me.” Oates is not credited as a songwriter on “Kiss on My List,” but is listed as a co-produced with Hall.


https://variety.com/2023/music/news/hall-and-oates-lawsuit-restraining-order-1235805425/

This interview gets interesting at 12 minutes 30 seconds in...whether Oates even participates in their music is unlikely.   Hall is close with demonic kingpin Clive Davis as well.   He talks about the lyrics to Romeo's Bleeding..."the lyrics whoa...what was I talking about there."


From John Oates...

DK: Moving on to your songwriting and your hits with Hall & Oates, what was your general songwriting process, writing with Daryl Hall?

Oates: The best way to describe it is…there were no rules. We’d come up with ideas individually usually, and then share them. We’d play them for each other and kind of bat them around. And then we’d edit each other and make suggestions. Sometimes it would be like a real collaboration…50/50 from the beginning. But many times, one of us would have the idea and be the custodian of that idea, and the other person would help. That happened a lot. A lot of times, Daryl wrote a lot more music than I did, and I would work with him on the lyrics. So really, there was no way to come up with a pattern. We just took it however we could get it.

https://www.songwriteruniverse.com/john-oates-interview-2017.htm

Which sisters co-wrote a handful of Hall & Oates' hit songs?

That would be Sara and Janna Allen. Daryl Hall wrote the Hall & Oates hit song Sara Smile about Sara who was his girlfriend at the time. Sara and Janna’s song-writing talents became most pronounced starting with Hall & Oates’s 1980 breakthrough album Voices. In fact, Janna did most of the songwriting for Kiss on My List which is the second most successful single that the duo ever recorded. (Their hit that stayed at #1 the longest was Maneater which was co-written by Sara.) The sisters co-wrote many of the songs that represented the most successful time of Daryl and John’s career which began with their Voices album in 1980 and concluded with their 1984 album Big Bam Boom.

Some of the songs Sara and/or Janna co-wrote with Daryl and/or John include the already mentioned Kiss on My List and Maneater, You Make My Dreams, Private Eyes, I Can’t Go For That (No Can Do) and Method of Modern Love. It’s fair to say that the two sisters were instrumental in making the duo the superstars that they became, as four of Hall & Oates’s six number one singles were co-penned by either one or both of the sisters. Daryl and Sara are no longer together, and Janna tragically passed away of cancer in 1993. The legacy of their music endures however, as the songs they co-wrote are still embraced by people across all generations and are still played on the radio and by Daryl & John who are still touring.


Daryl Hall of the rock duo Hall and Oates admits that he follows Crowley. “I became fascinated with Aleister Crowley, the nineteenth-century British magician who shared those beliefs. … I was fascinated by him because his personality was the late-nineteenth-century equivalent of mine—a person brought up in a conventionally religious family who did everything he could to outrage the people around him as well as himself” (Rock Lives: Profiles and Interviews, p. 584). Hall owns a signed and numbered copy of Crowley’s “The Book of Thoth” (about an Egyptian god).

In the March 1987 issue of Penthouse, Daryl Hall, the blond-headed and non-luxuriously-mustachioed half of the pop duo Hall & Oates, explained his interest in the dark arts: “Around 1974, I graduated into the occult, and spent a solid six or seven years immersed in the Kabbala and the Chaldean, Celtic, and Druidic traditions (and) ancient techniques for focusing the inner flame, the will that can create unimagined things and truly transform your individual universe.”

Hall also revealed that his great-great-grandfather was a warlock, then placed himself in a lineage of noted satanist Aleister Crowley: “I was fascinated with him because his personality was the late 19th-century equivalent of mine — a person brought up in a conventionally religious family who did everything he could to outrage the people around him as well as himself.”

https://www.salon.com/2013/12/21/i_cant_go_for_that_the_case_against_hall_oates/
Daryl Hall: Pervert and Occultist
On the cover of their fourth album Daryl Hall and John Oates, the duo look like effeminate drag queens, complete with blush. Many people thought them to be sodomite lovers, despite protests to the contrary from them at the time. Hall once remarked, "I was looking like the girl I always wanted to go out with."


Daryl Hall and John Oates, when dressed properly, were considered handsome men, and many women in their 20s and 30s were smitten by them. In actuality, Hall is bi-sexual, and promiscuous. In Rolling Stone magazine, 4/21/77, pg. 15, Hall said in an interview, "The idea of sex with a man doesn't turn me off...but I don't express it. I satisfied my curiosity about that years ago. I had lots of sex between the ages of three or four and the time I was fourteen or fifteen. Strange experiences with older boys. But men don't particularly turn me on. And, no, John and I have never been lovers. He's not my type. Too short and dark." (Emphasis mine).  John Oates is quoted as saying, "Rock music is 99% sex." Hall chimed in, "I wish you were allowed to use more raw language.You should be able to say 'f**k' in a song without being banned." (Expletive censored by me).

Interestingly, Hall & Oates didn't become popular until 1977. In 1974, Hall became involved with both Satanism and the occultist George Gurdjieff (a Russian Occultist, d.1949) and then his career took off.  Hall had this to say:

[Interviewer] You also at the time were interested in mysticism, and reading up on things like Aleister Crowley--

[Hall]: ...A lot of people go through that kind of thing. And I went through it, and I retained a lot of it, and I discarded a lot of it. My life was unbalanced at the time, when I was doing that.

Despite Hall's claims that he "discarded" a lot of the occult, he claims to be a witch (practitioner of Wicca), in a long line of witches. In that same interview, he said:

[Interviewer] There's a quote I found from '84 that really interested me. You said, "In my uncle's time, you were a minister. Two generations before that you were a warlock. Now you're me." Is that how you sum up being the frontman, the singer?

[Hall]: [laughs] Yeah. I always look at it as being a continuum. That's true, by the way-- I come from a family of ministers. And my great-grandfather was what they used to call in Pennsylvania a "pow-wow man," which is basically a male witch. It goes back to the old Germanic and English things-- it's like the evil eye, keeping the crops from getting the blight, and the cows from getting sick, and all that stuff. It's just old, old folky things. He was a healer, he used to heal people's warts and give them all kinds of potions and all that kind of stuff. He also had an evil side. And I heard some stories about him. [laughs] I never knew him, but I heard lots of stories about him.

That's how that filtered into that statement. But I see what musicians do, especially singers, as a primal thing. It comes from howling around the campfire. Everybody was sitting around whatever, in the earliest of early times-- pre-literate times, how's that? Pre-conscious times. And pre-sentient times. And somebody would be the guy that would start the howling. And that's what I do. 
(See https://pitchfork.com/features/interview/6673-daryl-hall/; Emphasis mine).

Hall's 1980 solo album, Sacred Songs, explores his view of the supernatural and his interest in supernatural topics. For example, the lyrics discuss occult "magick" and hint at Hall’s personal philosophy. Notably, the song, Without Tears alludes to Aleister Crowley’s book Magick without Tears. Crowley taught, "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law." That would include murder.

The hit song Rich Girl, which catapulted Hall & Oates to fame and fortune, came out after Hall's deep involvement in Satanism and the occult. I was 12 years old when the tune went to the top of the music charts in 1977. From 1976 to August 10, 1977, New York City was terrorized by serial killer David Berkowitz (b. Richard David Falco in 1953). He was also known as "The Son of Sam" because his neighbor's dog, "Sam" had "told him" to start killing people. He was also known to the police as "The .44 Caliber Killer" due to the weapon he used. Berkowitz claimed, after he was imprisoned, that he was part of a Satanic coven. Personally, I believe he did not act alone and did indeed have help. At one point, Berkowitz asked the controversial Jesuit and author, Malachi Martin, to help him write a book. Martin declined, and Berkowitz then converted to "born-again" Protestantism.

Berkowitz once claimed that he would "pump himself up" for murder by listening to Rich Girl. (See, e.g., https://www.songfacts.com/facts/daryl-hall-john-oates/rich-girl). Hall wrote the song Diddy Doo Wop (I Hear the Voices) in response. The pertinent part of the lyrics are as follows:

Diddy doo wop, oh oh oh oh oh
Diddy doo wop, oh oh oh
Well, it's the voice that I hear at the subway stop
Keep singing, diddy doo wop

Diddy doo wop, oh oh oh oh oh
Diddy doo wop, oh oh oh
Well, it starts in my head and it ends when I stop
Keep singing, diddy doo wop

Charlie liked the Beatles (ahh)
Sam, he liked Rich Girl (b*tch girl)
But I'm still hung up on the Duke of Earl (duke, duke, duke of earl, duke, duke, duke of earl)
Reaching for the handle
I'm slicing through the air "swish, swish"
Oh, the doo wop voices everywhere
And oh, the Duke is singing (Emphasis and censorship of vulgarity mine)

"Charlie" is a reference to Charles Manson and The Beatles, "Sam" is a reference to Berkowitz and the Hall & Oates song. Someone claims your song helped motivate them to murder and you put that claim in another song? A lighthearted satire in response to something so serious, is in my opinion, seriously wrong! If the song was written by Hall when under demonic inspiration, could the song somehow entice other demonically influenced people to do even more evil acts? I think it's entirely possible. I don't know if it's backward masked messages, or something else, but it seems plausible, especially given the surrounding circumstances.

http://introiboadaltaredei2.blogspot.com/2019/01/singing-for-satan-part-18_7.html


"She's Gone Oh I, Oh I'd
better learn how to face it
She's Gone Oh I,
Oh I'd
pay the devil to replace her"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who writes the music? The BOX.

Miami Bayside Marketplace Alien Sighting?

Beyonce and Sasha Fierce...a case study in demonic possession